Why are we here?


Why are we here?

This is a vague question, isn't it? I think to answer it, we first need to acknowledge who the "we" is and where the "here" is. To be clear: "we" refers to theatergoers, actors, writers, producers, production team, crew members, managers and the reviewers (like me) of these productions. "Here" refers to this community of individuals in the Dallas/Fort-Worth metropolis and the supporters of it. 

I'll break the ice. Why am I here? I began this journey in February of this year (2022,) out of curiosity. I've always had ideas about the plays that I see and love to chew on the concepts of them, the vision of the director and the social impact that these have on our society. Personally, the most intriguing part of my Theatre History classes during my college years, was the impact and the voice that Theatre brought to society throughout the centuries. It has been, and always will be a platform that leads to discussion, open-mindedness and social movement. Let us progress! Let us move-forward! But, what good am I to this Theatre community if I stay silent and neglect my right to speak up about these ideas? Let me write! Like a good historian, let me make record of my findings: these shining jewels of theatrical moments that are short-lived on stage, but made alive in History by way of record-keeping. Let me encourage you! What good is it to slaughter your good play; to rip you apart because your vision, perhaps, did not fit with my own? Like a close friend, let me commend your hard work, your purpose and your courage; inviting others to do the same. Let me learn! Like a good student, let me listen and observe; taking it all in and allowing my ways of thinking to be changed for the better. 

Now, your turn! Tell me! Tell me what your thoughts are on these issues, because I am listening. We are listening.  What we're hearing is that you believe there are elements of classic plays and musicals that need to be preserved and out-dated concepts that no longer pertain to our society. If we are all, in fact, moving forward, we need to decide what stays and what goes--clearing the weeds, so to speak. We're hearing a steady march on traditions, and a hearty battle cry for reform. But, good friends, tell us if we're wrong or what we're missing! Do not be shy. Better yet-- show us! 

Why are we here? Because passion drives us! We are here out of a deep love for Theatre, our community, our societal duties and our commitment. We are here as educators, friends, collaborative artists, preservers of History and revolutionaries. 

You are here. And we are so pleased that you are. Welcome! 

Natalie Shaw

Comments