Review: The Hunchback of Notre Dame is spectacular!

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

By Peter Parnell
Music by Alan Menken
Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz
Directed by Mallory Roelke
Produced by Grand Prairie Arts Council

Reviewed by Eddy Herring

It may come as no surprise that I am a HUGE fan of live theatre, and I am quite often impressed with the selection of well-produced plays and musicals in this area.  Some productions are so impressive that I am left speechless when I leave the theatre.  This is most definitely the case with Grand Prairie Arts Council’s production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  It is a visual and audible spectacle that gave me chills and often took my breath away.  Just WOW!

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is the story of a disabled child, Quasimodo, who also has a medical deformity and is raised by his Uncle Frollo, the archdeacon of Paris, who locks him away in the cathedral tower to protect him from the world.  One day he leaves his “sanctuary”, only to be bullied by a gang of gypsies, and is saved by the compassionate Esmeralda, a beautiful gypsy who ultimately captures the eyes of Frollo.  Quasimodo tries to hide her away in the tower to stay with him, but she is discovered and when she refuses Follo’s advances, she is sentenced to death as a witch.  


First of all, the Uptown Theatre is an amazing venue and the perfect setting for this enormous cast.  I am almost embarrassed to admit that this was my first time to see the stage version of this show, so I was completely oblivious to what I was about to witness.  Director Mallory Roelke assembled a remarkable cast of talented actors, strong singers, dancers, and a choir that literally filled the entire space in some numbers, both physically and musically.  The sheer volume of the sound was overwhelmingly impressive and beautiful.  Big applause goes  to Musical Director Patricia Bedford!  Costumes by Hope Cox were immaculate, especially the gargoyles.  To the rest of the production team…Bravo all around! 


There is so much talent in this cast, and far too many to speak about individually, otherwise this review would be a novelette.  But I would be remiss if I did not mention the standout performances.  Jacob Rivera-Sanchez as Quasimodo is simply magnificent.  He embodies this role so believably that I could not keep my eyes off him.  The way he so thoughtfully and delicately portrayed the disabilities of this character…his voice, his body carriage…was so genuine and beautiful to watch.  And, he has an amazing tenor that just melts your heart.  I was mesmerized by his work and can honestly say this is one of the best local performances I have seen.  


Esmeralda, played by Breana Deanda, was perfection.  She gave Esmeralda so many levels and her compassion for Quasimodo was genuine and touching.  Their chemistry together was palpable, and the strength and energy she brought to every scene was captivating.  And, her vocal performances were exquisite.  She is a joy to watch and delivered the strongest vocals of the night.


I must also mention the Gargoyles.  Their interactions with Quasimodo were endearing, and I was in awe of their costumes.  They were beautiful to watch.  I wish I could mention everyone, because they all brought magic to this show.


The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a stunning production.  Although this venue is quite large, I would suggest that you get your tickets as soon as possible.  (I might actually try to see it again.)  The show runs only one more weekend, so don’t delay!

Tickets are available at https://www.prekindle.com/events/grandprairieartscounciluptowntheater.  

I promise you DO NOT want to miss this show.  


Congratulations on a brilliant production!


Audience Rating: PG-13 (mild violence, death)

Running Time: 2.5 hours plus a 20-minute intermission

Accessible Seating: Available

Hearing Devices Available: Not available

Sensory-friendly Showing: Not available

ASL Showing: Not available

Noises and Visuals to Prepare For: Full-volume singing, screaming, fog machine, stage fighting, images of hanging, death

Production Sound/Lighting Level: Mostly comfortable, but high-volume group numbers


Go See the Show!

Eddy Herring


Comments